If you want your commercial boiler to operate consistently and reliably, you must have it routinely serviced by a professional. But how often is maintenance required? What tasks can you perform yourself, and what should you leave to a professional? Murphy & Miller, Inc. is here to help you answer these important questions.
How Often to Service a Commercial Boiler
As a building owner in Chicago, it’s your responsibility to keep an eye on your HVAC equipment, including your commercial boiler. You should monitor it continually, performing daily, weekly, monthly, and semi-annual inspections to help you spot signs of unsafe or inefficient operation. If you notice anything wrong, you should schedule services right away to have your boiler repaired before the problem escalates.
To help you spot issues as they develop and keep your equipment in peak condition, hire a professional to service your commercial boiler once a year. This is the industry standard, though the required service frequency for your specific boiler/burner combination may vary depending on the equipment’s size and complexity. Still, full service on an annual basis is the minimum requirement.
What Checks Can Building Owners Make?
The inspections you make should be limited to simple observations and maintenance procedures, including:
- Checking for water or fuel leaks
- Blowing down a low-water cutoff device on a steam boiler (if equipped with a float-type cutoff)
- Being aware of changes in operation, such as the development of odd noises or the system failing to heat the way it once did
More formal maintenance procedures should be left to a professional to prevent damaging the equipment.
What Checks are Best Left to a Professional?
Murphy & Miller offers thorough boiler inspections and services to reduce the chance of breakdowns, prolong the life of your equipment, and help you save on operating costs. You’ll enjoy more even temperatures and safer operation when you choose us to maintain your boiler annually. Here are some of the tasks included in a boiler tune-up from Murphy & Miller:
- Clean all system components to ensure correct water levels and facilitate more efficient heat transfer
- Conduct a combustion analysis once the burners are properly cleaned to determine safe, efficient performance
- Check for signs of corrosion or leaks that could decrease efficiency and lead to other problems in the future
- Check and clean the water gauges to ensure accurate water level readouts
- Test safety and performance features, including the automatic fuel cutoff, water treatment system, and condensate recovery system
- And more!
Sign Up for a Commercial Boiler Maintenance Agreement
If you’re worried about forgetting to schedule annual commercial boiler maintenance, we encourage you to sign up for a boiler maintenance contract from Murphy & Miller. Your agreement includes boiler inspections and service once a year (or as often as your system requires), plus other great benefits like automatic reminders and system evaluations. We’ll cater the terms of your agreement to meet your exact needs.
When you sign up, you’ll be joining our other highly satisfied customers. With an annual maintenance contract renewal rate of over 95%—an industry rarity—it’s clear we know how to meet our customers’ needs!
Make Annual Commercial Boiler Maintenance a Priority
At Murphy & Miller, we want to help your building run safely and efficiently. These are undoubtedly goals you have set for your building. Let us maintain your boiler and other HVAC equipment to maximize performance and longevity for a high return on investment.
With over 80 years of experience, you know you can trust our knowledgeable team to deliver! To learn more, or to schedule boiler maintenance in Chicago, please contact Murphy & Miller today!